Hello introduction to Exploring NY Cemeteries

Welcome to Exploring NY Cemeteries. One of my favorite past times is wandering through local cemeteries and I would like to share some photos I've taken as well as some of the history that I have found. Come along and explore with me.
To start off I'm honoring Veterans for Memorial Day with photos and any information that I may have about them.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Lieut. Horatio N. Duroe, Civil War Veteran, Killed in battle at Petersburg, Va. 1865.

Hillington Cemetery is a large active cemetery at Morris, NY.  Many in the Duroe family are buried there up on the hill in the newer part.  Six of the 11 children of Francis and Jane (Jackson) Duroe's children are buried in the family plot or nearby.  Their daughter, Arrianna Duroe Yates is the one nearby.  Their son, Lieut. Horatio N. Duroe was killed in battle at Petersburg, Va. on March 25, 1865 at age 24 years. 

LIEUT.  H.  N.  DUROE
A  MEMBER  OF  Co. K. 121 Regt. N. Y. S. V.  Killed at Petersburg, Va. 1865
The mother of Horatio Duroe was Jane (Jackson) Duroe 1817-1907 

The father of Horatio Duroe was Francis J. Duroe 1810-1871
The large Duroe family monument and the names below are on the back.
Siblings of Horatio Duroe, all buried at Hillington Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment