Hello introduction to Exploring NY Cemeteries

Welcome to Exploring NY Cemeteries. One of my favorite past times is wandering through local cemeteries and I would like to share some photos I've taken as well as some of the history that I have found. Come along and explore with me.
To start off I'm honoring Veterans for Memorial Day with photos and any information that I may have about them.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

John Hale, Revolutionary Soldier, Butternut Valley Cemetery

John Hale is the second Revolutionary Soldier at Butternut Valley Cemetery that I'm highlighting.  He was born in Ashford, CT Oct. 12, 1747 and married Mehetabel Knowlton at Ashford April 14, 1772.  The family moved to Otsego County circa 1807.  John died Jan 7, 1810. They had 13 children.  The first 3 were born at Ashford and the remainder at Monson, Hampshire Co., MA.  This information is from "Early Families of Otsego County New York" Volume 1, by Martha Reamy.  Their daughter, Mehetabel Hale married Shubael Reed of Tolland, CT March 30, 1797. They are also buried at Butternut Valley Cemetery with at least 3 of their 9 children.   John Hale was my x4 great grandfather.


 MEHETABEL wife of MR. JOHN HALE, died July the 22nd 1825 in the 75th year of her age.

The Reed monument with the Brick School House in the background.

Close up of Shubael Reed and wife Mehetabel (Hale) Reed side.
The headstone for Mehetabel (Hale) Reed, Consort (wife) of Mr. Shubael Reed.

No comments:

Post a Comment