Hello introduction to Exploring NY Cemeteries

Welcome to Exploring NY Cemeteries. One of my favorite past times is wandering through local cemeteries and I would like to share some photos I've taken as well as some of the history that I have found. Come along and explore with me.
To start off I'm honoring Veterans for Memorial Day with photos and any information that I may have about them.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Phillip and Seth Gardner, Civil War Veterans, Buried at Mt. Vision Pioneer Cemetery

The Pioneer Mt. Vision Cemetery is right by the roadside and is a small cemetery with many gravestones.
It is no longer an active cemetery, but is well cared for.  There are many Gardners in this old cemetery.  In my photo collection, I found two veterans there, Phillip and Seth Gardner.   Since the Civil War took place from 1861-1865, it would appear that Phillip died in the war since the date of his death is Dec. 7, 1863.  Also, he wasn't young at 52 years of age to be at war.  Seth was 44 when he signed up.  I found the info on Ancestry.com. and it stated he was a farmer. 

Phillip Gardner, member of Co. D. 42nd Regt. N. Y. Vol.  1811-1863.
Family stone of Seth and Gulielma (Howland) Gardner

SETH  A.  GARDNER  1818-1889  and  his wife  GULIELMA (HOWLAND)  1816-1897

No comments:

Post a Comment